Teaching tomorrow's medical and health professionals to become leaders through cutting-edge, community-oriented education
EVMS provides students, residents and fellows with a unique educational experience. Early clinical exposure in high-tech environments and instruction from expert faculty empower our students to become effective and compassionate health professionals, physicians and scientists.
As a school built by the community for the community, we honor our heritage through service learning and volunteer opportunities. Be part of a community that celebrates compassion in care.
- Art Therapy and Counseling, MS
- Biomedical Sciences Research, MS
- Contemporary Human Anatomy, MS
- Healthcare Analytics, MHA
- Healthcare Delivery Science, MHDS
- Laboratory Animal Science, MS
- Master of Medical and Health Professions Education
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Surgical Assisting
- Medical Master's, MS
- Pathologists' Assistant, MHS
- Physician Assistant, MPA
- Reproductive Clinical Science, MS
- Graduate Certificate in Anatomy
- Graduate Certificate in Core Public Health
- Graduate Certificate in Epidemiology
- Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Analytics
- Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management
- Graduate Certificate in Implementing Change and Achieving High Performance in the Healthcare Environment
- Graduate Certificates in Medical and Health Professions Education
- Academic Emergency Medicine Fellowship
- Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Medicine Ultrasound
- International Emergency Medicine
- Physician Assistant Fellowship in Emergency Medicine
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Geriatrics Medicine
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Pulmonary and Critical Care
- Sleep Medicine
Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Child Abuse
- International Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Pediatric Simulation in Medical Education
- Physician Assistant Fellowship in Pediatric Urgent Care
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
“I think my favorite thing about EVMS is they talk about community impact and really having a close-knit community, and they do walk the walk here.”
Meet the Faculty
Kimberly Dempsey, EdD, MPA, PA-C
Dr. Dempsey (MPA ’03) serves as Director of the Master of Physician Assistant program. She previously spent nine years as the program’s Assistant Director and has been vital in updating and improving the curriculum. Dr. Dempsey specializes in pediatric dermatology and practiced at the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters from 2004 through 2015. Read more.
Julie Kerry, PhD
Dr. Kerry is the EVMS Foundation Distinguished Professor in Biomedical Sciences and Professor and Chair of Microbiology and Molecular Cell Biology. She has been instrumental in introducing interactive teaching methods in the medical curriculum at EVMS. Dr. Kerry has extensive research experience. She is part of a select group of investigators studying Cytomegalovirus (CMV) and working toward a vaccine. Read more.
Jorge Jacot, PhD
Dr. Jacot, Director of the Pathologists’ Assistant program and Assistant Professor of Pathology and Anatomy, has vast experience in pharmaceutical and pathology research and education. An award-winning former research fellow with the NIH’s National Eye Institute, Dr. Jacot has taught at EVMS since 2004. He previously led a team of researchers at the Institute for Pharmaceutical Discovery (IPD). Read more.
Allison Knight, PhD
Dr. Knight, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, has furthered students’ academic success in her role as Associate Dean for Student Affairs and previously as Director of Academic Development. She worked for 10 years for the Commonwealth of Virginia, diagnosing and treating learning disorders. Knight earned her master’s and doctoral degrees in clinical and school psychology from the University of Virginia. Read more.
Ron Flenner, MD
Dr. Flenner, Vice Dean of Academic Affairs and Professor of Internal Medicine, oversees institutional accreditation processes, curriculum reform and several other student-focused components of EVMS’ administration. He meets with third-year medical students individually to help them plan their career paths. A 1989 EVMS graduate, Dr. Flenner holds the James E. Etheridge Jr. Distinguished Professorship and has worked as a board-certified physician in internal medicine and infectious disease at EVMS since 1995. Read more.