Emergency Medical Services Fellowship
Develop the skills and abilities necessary to provide emergency care for critically ill and injured patients while preparing to lead an effective pre-hospital care program.
Where you'll train
Regional EMS teams
Fellows rotate with multiple rescue squads and EMS teams in the area, including:
- Children’s Hospital of King’s Daughters Pediatric Critical Care Transport Team
- Norfolk Fire-Rescue
- Portsmouth Fire, Rescue and Emergency Services
- Portsmouth Police Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT)
- Sentara Nightingale Regional Air Ambulance
- Urban Search & Rescue Task Force (VA-TF2)
- Virginia Beach Department of Emergency Medical Services
Emergency Physicians of Tidewater
Emergency Physicians of Tidewater (EPT) is a democratic physician-owned group that exclusively staffs the Emergency Department at Sentara Hospitals Southside, where the EMS Fellow will do their clinical shifts. Fellows will work part time as attending physicians with the group, which staffs 5 hospitals and 2 freestanding EDs in the Sentara system. EPT is also the supervisory group for the EVMS EM residency program, and fellows will have ample opportunities to hone their medical and teaching skills.
Fellows will practice Emergency Medicine clinically with multiple Sentara Emergency Departments in Hampton Roads. This includes Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, the primary teaching hospital for EVMS, home to the area’s only Level I trauma center and burn unit as well as the region’s premier heart program.