Both personal characteristics and academic qualifications of applicants are evaluated to ensure that students are capable of developing professional competence as art therapists. Our Admissions Guide contains specific information about the admissions requirements, process, and timeline for the program.
Applicants to the program must have:
- A qualifying grade point average of 3.0 or better.
- A bachelor's degree completed no later than July 1.
- All prerequisite coursework satisfactorily completed no later than July 1:
- 12 semester credit hours in Psychology (must include developmental, abnormal and theories of personality)
- 18 semester credit hours in Studio Art (must include painting, drawing, sculpture/3-D and clay/ceramics)
- Completed the online application including the following:
- Official transcript(s) from all academic institutions attended
- Official GRE score report (optional)
- Official TOEFL scores (if applicable)
- Writing sample
- Two letters of reference
- Personal interview with portfolio presentation
- Reviewed the technical standards.
Transcripts must be sent to GradCAS only. GradCAS only accepts electronic transcripts from the following sites:
If your school does not offer these services, download and send a transcript request form to your school's registrar, who should send the transcript to:
GradCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9217
Watertown, MA 02471