The financial aid application process is straightforward once you understand the steps and the timeline required to produce your aid funds at the time you need them each term.
- Who is eligible to apply?
- What are the steps to apply?
- What is the timeline to apply for financial aid?
- How do I renew aid for the next academic year?
To qualify and maintain eligibility for federal student aid programs, an applicant must:
- be accepted for admission to Eastern Virginia Medical School,
- be enrolled in good standing at least half-time,
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident,
- not be in default on a previous student loan or owe a refund on any Title IV funds received at another educational institution,
- maintain satisfactory academic progress and
- be creditworthy (for credit-based loans).
To qualify and maintain eligibility for EVMS institutional aid programs, in addition to the above requirements, an applicant must meet requirements for institutional aid programs as specified by the donor(s) and/or aid program(s).
Steps to apply
Basic steps to apply for aid are the same each year:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the upcoming academic year.
- Complete the online EVMS financial aid application.
- Review the budget increase guidelines (for unusual expenses).
- Confirm you are credit ready.
- If needed later in the academic year, students enrolled in per-credit-hour programs may need to file a revised education plan to update enrollment plans.
Do not wait to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) until you hear you are off the waiting list. Although your file will not be reviewed until you are accepted, timing is crucial to speed your award. File your FAFSA listing at EVMS (Title IV code 010338) and complete your online application by the stated deadline or within 10 business days (Monday through Friday) of being advised of your accepted status, whichever is later. In order to complete your online financial aid application, you must first receive your network credentials. If you have not received those within 10 business days, please advise EVMS Financial Aid.
File on time:
- March 15, 2022, for Reproductive Clinical Science students
- March 22, 2022, for all incoming MD students for Fall 2022
- March 22, 2022, for all returning students
- May 3, 2022, for all other incoming students for Fall 2022
- October 1, 2022, for Physician Assistant students entering January 2023
Note: There will be no exceptions for late admits.
How to renew
After January 1 each year, in order to apply for financial aid for the upcoming academic year, you need to:
- Complete the application process for the upcoming academic year.
- Update your address and email questions on your FAFSA so the most accurate information is listed.
- Continue to monitor your credit standing.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- Comply with all requests for any additional documents.
- After receipt of your award notice, complete the loan process for needed funding for the coming year.