The EVMS Ophthalmology Residency program is an ACGME accredited program that currently accepts two residents per academic year.
Our residency participates in the SF Match Central Application Process. Our program is a 'joint' match. The residents who match with us will spend one (1) year with our EVMS Internal Medicine Program and three (3) years after with the ophthalmology residency. Candidates interviewing during 2021-2022 do not need to apply to EVMS Internal Medicine thru ERAS until after the San Fransico Match Process. Once the SF Match is complete, our matched candidates will be advised how to apply to EVMS Internal Medicine thru ERAS and the NRMP. Candidates interviewing during 2021-2022 interview season will have a July 1, 2022 start date with EVMS Internal Medicine and a July 1, 2023 start date with EVMS Ophthalmology.
Eligible applicants must have:
- Received their MD or DO degree from a program accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or American Osteopathic Association
- Graduates of medical schools outside of the U.S. or Canada must hold a valid Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate.
Applicants must include the following materials with their application:
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Personal statement (including short essay questions, new in 2021)
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) scores
- ECFMG report (if applicable)
- Medical Student Performance Evaluations (MSPE)
EVMS Ophthalmology practices a holistic interview approach to application review. We recommend the following things be included in your CV.
- Employment/extracurricular accomplishments
- Leadership experience: community or medical school
- Public Service: volunteerism in your community or medical school
- Research/Scholarly Activity Experience & Interests
- Published in ophthalmology, national meetings, regional meetings, poster presentations, works in progress, etc
- Honors, awards, accomplishments, achievements, experience
- Relative experience and interest in the field of Ophthalmology (including electives)
Applications are due October 10th.