EVMS Student Health Clinic extends our welcome to both new and returning students.
As a student, care is provided for you for acute and ongoing health problems. These services are provided by our practice in exchange for the annual payment of your student health fee. The student health fee is separate from any cost related to your major medical insurance and the service is extended to all students regardless of insurance carrier.
The clinic offers comprehensive health and wellness services, including mental health, all in one location on campus. The clinic’s medical director is a physician dedicated to student services and not involved in student education or training.
Be sure to sign up for FollowMyHealth. With this secure online patient portal, you will have 24-hour access to your medical information, lab results and can request prescription refills or send and receive online messages from your healthcare team.
How the program works
Students with acute or chronic illness should call the EVMS Student Health Line (757.446.5700) to make an appointment. The clinic is located in Andrews Hall, Suite #274, and students will be seen in a private and confidential space.
Please note: No Student Health provider is involved in any aspect of EVMS students’ education.
Specialist services are not covered by Student Health. Referrals will be made in consideration of the student’s health insurance plan and the extent to which the specialist may be involved in the student’s education.
How to see a Student Health provider
1. Contact the office directly through the EVMS Student Health Line: 757.446.5700.
2. Provide all major medical health insurance carrier information.
If you have questions about EVMS Student Health, please email StudentHealthClinic@evms.edu.
Information about EVMS Student Mental Health services can also be obtained at 757.446.5700.
What Student Health covers
- Office visits for the treatment of acute routine and chronic illness
- Residency pre-employment exams (Please schedule at least one month in advance.)
- Periodic health exams such as gynecology exams (Please note: Charges related to the office visit for gynecology exams will be covered under the Student Health fee and the charges relating to the lab services for the gynecology exam will be filed to the student’s major medical insurance. The student will be responsible for any amount the insurance does not cover.)
- Various laboratory tests
- Office procedures including; abscess drainage, skin lesion removal, biopsy, skin lesions cryotherapy.
- Laceration repair, burn, and wound care.
- Immunization for HPV ( billed to insurance), Tdap, and flu shot at no cost
- Different birth control options, insertion and removal of Nexplanon, IUD removal only
What's not covered
- Pre-matriculation health requirements
- Maternity care
- Medical school entrance physical
- Services for spouses/partners and dependents
These listings refer to your coverage at the EVMS Student Health Clinic. Check your health insurance policy for complete coverage information.
For a full list of covered labs and immunizations, visit Student Affairs on myPortal (login required).
Blood/body fluid exposures
Students who have a blood/body fluid exposure (e.g., needlestick, scalpel cut, splash to eyes, nose, mouth or to non-intact skin) should immediately wash the wound or skin site with soap and water. Mucous membranes should be flushed thoroughly with water. The student should then contact Student Health at 757.446.5700 during business hours and the EVMS Exposure Pager at 757.669.1157 during evenings, holidays or weekends. The exposure should also be reported as soon as possible to the supervising clinician.
Occupational Health is located in Waitzer Hall, Suite 926. Services performed in Occupational Health for current students include:
- Lab Animal Risk Assessment (LARA)
- Medical clearance for fit testing
Student Health Clinic site
The Student Health Clinic is located in Andrews Hall, 721 Fairfax Ave., Suite #274, Norfolk, VA 23507.
Students will be seen in a private and confidential space. The hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.