EVMS Student Health Clinic extends our welcome to both new and returning students.
As a student, care is provided for you for acute and ongoing health problems. These services are provided by our practice in exchange for the annual payment of your student health fee. The student health fee is separate from any cost related to your major medical insurance and the service is extended to all students regardless of insurance carrier.
The clinic offers comprehensive health and wellness services, including mental health, all in one location on campus. The clinic’s medical director is a physician dedicated to student services and not involved in student education or training.
Be sure to sign up for FollowMyHealth. With this secure online patient portal, you will have 24-hour access to your medical information, lab results and can request prescription refills or send and receive online messages from your healthcare team.
How the program works
Students with acute or chronic illness should call the EVMS Student Health Line (757.446.5700) to make an appointment. The clinic is located on the fourth floor of Andrews Hall, and students will be seen in a private and confidential space.
Please note: No Student Health provider is involved in any aspect of EVMS students’ education.
Specialist services are not covered by Student Health. Referrals will be made in consideration of the student’s health insurance plan and the extent to which the specialist may be involved in the student’s education.
How to see a Student Health provider
1. Contact the office directly through the EVMS Student Health Line: 757.446.5700.
2. Provide all major medical health insurance carrier information.
If you have questions about EVMS Student Health, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information about EVMS Student Mental Health services can also be obtained at 757.446.5700.
What Student Health covers
- Office visits for the treatment of acute routine and chronic illness
- Residency pre-employment exams (Please schedule at least one month in advance.)
- Periodic health exams such as gynecology exams (Please note: Charges related to the office visit for gynecology exams will be covered under the Student Health fee and the charges relating to the lab services for the gynecology exam will be filed to the student’s major medical insurance. The student will be responsible for any amount the insurance does not cover.)
- Tuberculin skin testing
- Allergy injections (Antigen is supplied by the student.)
- Various immunizations
- Various laboratory tests
- Chest X-rays following PPD conversion
What's not covered
- Pre-matriculation health requirements
- Maternity care
- Medical school entrance physical
- Services for spouses/partners and dependents
These listings refer to your coverage at the EVMS Student Health Clinic. Check your health insurance policy for complete coverage information.
For a full list of covered labs and immunizations, visit Student Affairs on myPortal (login required).
Blood/body fluid exposures
Students who have a blood/body fluid exposure (e.g., needlestick, scalpel cut, splash to eyes, nose, mouth or to non-intact skin) should immediately wash the wound or skin site with soap and water. Mucous membranes should be flushed thoroughly with water. The student should then contact Occupational Health at 757.446.5870 or page 757.584.0550 during business hours and the EVMS Exposure Pager at 757.669.1157 during evenings, nights or weekends. The exposure should also be reported as soon as possible to the supervising clinician.
Occupational Health is located in Andrews Hall, Suite 273. The Occupational Health staff review student health documentation prior to matriculation to ensure that the student meets Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations for immunizations and tuberculosis (TB) surveillance. Services performed in Occupational Health for current students include:
- Annual TB Surveillance or TST (PPD) administration
- Flu vaccination
- Other vaccines and laboratory titers, if indicated
- Medical clearance for fit testing
- Review/signature of medical forms for clinical rotations
Student Health Clinic site
The Student Health Clinic is located on the fourth floor of Andrews Hall. Students will be seen in a private and confidential space. The hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.