Admission to the PA profession has become increasingly competitive over the years. EVMS evaluates applicants through four lenses: cognitive/academic, personal/non-cognitive, healthcare experience and community service.
Detailed information about admissions criteria for a competitive application can be found in our Admissions Guidebook. It is a comprehensive guide about our application requirements and the admissions process.
Applicants to the program must be U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents and have:
- A bachelor’s degree (or higher graduate degree) completed no later than July 1.
- Official transcripts from the awarding institution must specify the date upon which the degree was issued.
- If the bachelor’s degree was issued by a U.S. college or university, as a general rule it should be from a regionally accredited institution. However, the PA program may grant exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
- Applicants with foreign degrees may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Specifics regarding foreign degree requirements, prerequisite expectations and eligibility are detailed in the .
- A qualifying grade point average of 3.00 or better (on a 4.0 scale).
- Review the GPA calculation details
- All prerequisite coursework satisfactorily* completed prior to March 1.
Required courses include:
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry+
- Microbiology or Cell Biology+
- Intro to Psychology
- Additional Psychology+
- Math, Statistics or Physics
*Requires 3 semester credits minimum with a B- or better grade
+Must be completed within 10 years of application deadline
- Completed the CASPA application by March 1.
- Application requirements include:
- CASPA application fee
- Official transcript(s) from each university or college ever attended
- TOEFL scores (if applicable)
- 3 letters of reference
- Other documents as directed by CASPA
- Completed the EVMS supplemental application online by March 1.
- This may only be submitted once all 8 prerequisites have been satisfactorily completed.
- Official transcripts for any outstanding prerequisites completed after CASPA verification must be submitted directly to EVMS:
EVMS Physician Assistant Program
School of Health Professions
ATTN: Admissions & Enrollment
700 West Olney Road, Suite 1155
Norfolk, VA 23501
- Reviewed the technical standards.
A complete application file includes a completed CASPA application, EVMS supplemental application, and CASPer test by March 1, 2019
If an application is not complete by the March 1 deadline, it will not be considered, regardless of the original CASPA submission date.
A CASPA application is considered complete when the following actions occur:
- All official transcripts are listed, each with a date received in your Status Menu under "Transcripts."
- At least two of your references are listed as "completed" with a date completed in your Status Menu under "Evaluations."
- Your payment is marked as received with a date received in your Status Menu.
- You have received email confirmation that you submitted the application.
- Your application Status Menu reads as "Materials Received > Verifying" for the PA programs to which you submitted.
Additional Admissions Information
For application and admission questions, please contact: