There are many different types of post-baccalaureate programs across the country that can help prepare students to matriculate into medical school. Our program is an academic record-enhancing program designed for students who need to show medical schools that they can handle the rigor of medical school despite their undergraduate GPA. The program is also appropriate for career changers and non-science majors who have already taken the MD prerequisite courses.
Since 1995, the EVMS Medical Master's program has helped 88% to 93% of our students successfully place themselves in the entering classes of allopathic and osteopathic medical schools across the nation. Please note: the percentages below are running totals, not first-year numbers. For example, the Class of 2015 percentage includes those who were accepted directly after the program as well as the following 2 years.
|Graduating Year||Current Acceptance Rate into MD or DO School|
Our program offers a rigorous medical curriculum, with five courses taken with first-year medical students, and help with the non-academic aspects of the MD application. The EVMS Med Master's program is highly respected by medical schools. We have multiple levels of staff to support, mentor and counsel students in a cooperative learning environment with a cohesive faculty.
The EVMS Medical Master's program offers:
- Personalized review and suggestions for all applicants before admissions committee review
- Majority of classes are taken with medical students
- Practice medical interviews and feedback
- Multiple sessions with standardized patients
- Assistance with medical school applications
- Volunteer/community service opportunities
- Cadaver dissection
- Program letter of recommendation from faculty advisor
- A 'Big Sib' program that pairs a MM graduate/first-year medical student mentor with each incoming student
- Opt-out opportunities for graduates who matriculate into the MD program
- Support for diversity and inclusivity within the student body
Unique to our two-year program:
- Structured physician shadowing opportunities
- Structured volunteer activities
- MCAT test preparation
- Master's of Public Health courses and the option to complete the Core Public Health Certificate over the summer at a discounted rate
Applying to medical school is often a multi-year process requiring dedication, perseverance and a well-conceived application strategy. While many applicants will be able to gain acceptance to a medical school at the end of their post-bacc year, others will require another year and application cycle to complete the process.