Four steps to a safer campus
To ensure the safety of all members of the EVMS community, all visitors must be symptom free and follow EVMS safety protocols as follows:
1. Health Monitoring
- Any visitor with any of the following symptoms will not be admitted to EVMS facilities
- Fever (subjective or objective) ≥ 100.0 F
- Signs/symptoms of a lower respiratory illness (cough or shortness of breath)
- Loss of sense of taste or smell
- Sore throat; or
- Other symptoms such as muscle aches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, runny nose, fatigue
2. Social/Physical Distancing
While social distancing is no longer required it is still recommended for individuals who are not up to date on COVID-19 vaccines or those at higher risk of getting sick with COVID-19.
3. Face Masks/ PPE
Masks continue to be required in EVMS Medical Group departments and in certain common spaces in clinical buildings, including lobbies, elevators, hallways and bathrooms on clinical floors. Clinical buildings include Hofheimer Hall, Andrews Hall, Williams Hall/Strelitz Diabetes and SGF Jones Institute.
Masks are not required, regardless of vaccination status, in the following spaces:
- All non-clinical buildings
- Study rooms in all buildings
- Shared break rooms located in clinical departments (e.g. resident rooms, lunch spaces, etc.)
- Classrooms, labs and other academic rooms
- The student and employee Wellness Centers
- Educational lecture rooms that are in clinical buildings (e.g., Grand Rounds)
Eye protection in EVMS Medical Group departments is no longer required for fully vaccinated individuals who are providing routine clinical care.
Although wearing masks is optional, COVID-19 remains active in the region and individuals who want to continue to wear a mask for any reason are free to do so.
4. Hand Hygiene
For masking to be successful, it must be accompanied by hand hygiene, which includes frequent handwashing or use of alcohol-based hand sanitizer
Note: Volunteers are not visitors and must follow the onboarding process required by Human Resources. Learn more about the volunteer process on the Human Resources website.