It is the policy of Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) to follow a standardized process for the placement and use of volunteers at EVMS.
II. APPLICABILITY AND RESTRICTIONS
A. Applicability. This policy applies to any non-EVMS compensated individual who will be working on behalf of EVMS (whether on campus or off), but who is not:
- a visiting or adjunct faculty member approved through Faculty Affairs and Professional Development;
- a physician observer approved through the Office of Graduate Medical Education; or
- a visiting student receiving educational credit at EVMS and registered with the EVMS
- The volunteer process may not be used to circumvent an established procedure for the hiring for employees, vendors, or consultants and no offer or promise of employment, business, or monetary gain shall be made to any volunteer.
- Individuals under the age of 16 years may not be volunteers at Volunteers at EVMS.
- Individuals under 18 years of age may not be volunteers in any occupation determined and declared hazardous by rules and regulations promulgated by the Commonwealth of Virginia or as determined by the director of Human Resources.
- Human Resources has the right to terminate a volunteer at any time and for any reason.
- All volunteers are subject to the policies and procedures of EVMS and each department shall be responsible for ensuring that volunteers adhere to all such policies.
A. Departments that desire to utilize a volunteer must contact Human Resources for a volunteer packet that consists of the following forms:
- Job Description (to be completed by the supervisor)
- Human Resources Volunteer Application
- Confidentiality Statement
- Release and Waiver of Liability
B. All forms must be completed in their entirety and returned to Human Resources along with a copy of the volunteer’s resume.
C. Human Resources will send the completed job description and volunteer application to Environmental Health & Safety and Occupational Health to determine safety training and health requirements for the volunteer and enroll the volunteer in any applicable training The department shall notify the volunteer of his/her training requirements.
D. Human Resources will contact the department when the volunteer has been cleared for duty and may be issued a Once issued, the volunteer must wear the EVMS ID badge at all times when working at EVMS or in EVMS facilities.
E. The department is responsible for collecting and returning the volunteer’s ID badge to Human Resources within 5 days of completion off the volunteer's assignment.