New faculty orientation
New Faculty Orientation (NFO) is an important component of professional identity formation as an EVMS faculty member. NFO helps faculty shape their trajectory for academic success, acclimate to EVMS and learn our mission, vision and values. Orientation provides an overview of resources available at EVMS to support academic endeavors and strategies used by our academic faculty.
Orientation takes place two times a year on the EVMS campus.
Individual career development
The Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs and Institutional Effectiveness is available for individual consultation with faculty on career planning, promotion and tenure and any general concerns about faculty life, policies and procedures. For more information, please contact EVMS Faculty Affairs and Professional Development by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 757.446.0383.
Financial support to promote scholarship and national recognition
Supporting funds are available for qualified faculty. We have supported faculty in the following ways:
- Funding attendance/presentations at various conferences
- Funding attendance at Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) leadership seminars or workshops
- Awarding Professional Enrichment and Growth grants
- Funding attendance at AAMC Group on Educational Affairs, Leadership, Education and Development (LEAD) Certificate program
These events are designed to increase opportunities for collaboration and interdisciplinary networking among faculty members. EVMS Faculty Affairs and Professional Development hosts events each year to seek feedback on our performance and support for faculty.
Professional development activities at EVMS
Several approaches are available:
- Professional development workshops
- This schedule is developed by an annual needs assessment, as well as conversations with faculty. Faculty input informs the next academic year’s activities.
- The workshops are open to all faculty members, and continuing medical education (CME) credit is available for most activities.
- Professional development bytes
- Professional development bytes are 15- to 20-minute recorded interviews with experts in different areas of academic life.
- Each byte has a dedicated webpage with a profile of the interviewee and recommended resources.
- These online resources are available 24/7.
- CME credit is available.
- PEG grants
- Grants are available for faculty who wish to engage in an activity that will promote their professional goals and advance the departmental and institutional academic missions.
- Grant availability is announced toward the beginning of each calendar year for activities in the subsequent academic year.
- Fine Family Academy of Educators
- In 2019, EVMS launched the Fine Family Academy of Educators, which provides a longitudinal, structured program of faculty development activities for faculty who apply to become members.
- Live Humble Faculty Growth Initiative