Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic that has affected traveling restrictions worldwide, we will be offering virtual interviews using Zoom as the platform, instead of our usual in-person meetings. We understand that this limits our applicant’s capability to physically visit our campus and facilities, as well as interact with various faculty and staff members. In order to remediate the effects of this, we have created a short video below highlighting virtual tours of the Eastern Virginia Medical School main campus, our participating site of Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, and our facilities.
Invitations for virtual interviews will be sent out on May 17, 2021, per the SMFM’s recommendations. Our interview sessions will take place on the following days and times:
- Friday, July 9, 2021, 12:10 – 3:50 p.m. (EST)
- Friday, July 23, 2021, 12:10 – 3:50 p.m. (EST)
- Friday, August 13, 2021, 12:10 – 3:50 p.m. (EST)
- Friday, August 27, 2021, 12:10 – 3:50 p.m. (EST)
Our interviewees will receive in the mail prior to their interview, an EVMS Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship Program Overview Booklet, highlighting our Program Director and faculty members, current and past fellows, clinical data, and academic achievements.
Getting Started with Zoom
- Where do I download the latest version of Zoom?
You can download the latest version of Zoom from their Download Center. Learn more about downloading Zoom.
- How to I use Zoom on my PC or Mac?
After downloading Zoom, learn how to use the Zoom Desktop Client.
- Do you need an account to use Zoom?
A Zoom account is not required if you are strictly joining Zoom Meetings as a participant. If someone invites you to their meeting, you can join as a participant without creating an account.
Tips Using Zoom
- Make sure you have an accessible webcam on the day of your interview, since it will be a videoconferencing call layout, and download Zoom ahead of time.
- If you lose connection during any part of the interview process, if your internet connection re-connects quickly, it will automatically put you back into the meeting, if it doesn’t you can still log back in using the links provided to you on your Outlook calendar invite.
- Please make sure your screensavers are off. If a screensaver is enabled, it will log you out of the meeting.
- There are limitations when using an iPad so it is best to use a laptop or desktop computer.
- You have the ability to mute your audio and turn off video during the meeting, so if you would like to do so between interviews, you are more than welcome to.
Virtual Interview Tips
- When positioning your webcam, please make sure we can see you at least from the neck up.
- Dress the same way you would for an in-person interview, such as business casual attire.
- Manipulate your environment as to limit interruptions during your interview. This can include: positioning your computer and webcam in front of a blank wall; turning off the television, radio, cell phones, or computer noise such as email pop up notifications; and avoiding pets, children, or other family members in the background.
- Set up your technology ahead of time and do some test runs.
- Most importantly, be yourself!