Message from Lester Johnson, MD, PhD, FACR
Chairman and Residency Program Director
To Know EVMS is to Love EVMS.
Superb teaching resources
- Supportive, exceptional teaching faculty: Our 50 faculty members are diverse, fellowship trained subspecialists with experience gained across the United States. All are certified by the American Board of Radiology and participate in Maintenance of Certification. We enjoy teaching and working with residents and helping them become great radiologists.
- One-on-one, resident-attending instruction: Our residents have the advantage of training directly with attendings, with no competition from fellows. Residents become widely proficient in procedural skills and across the various imaging modalities and organ systems.
- Outstanding hospitals: Our main teaching hospital, Sentara Norfolk General, has been consistently ranked by US News and World Report among the top hospitals in Virginia for many years; The Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters an entire dedicated pediatric hospital, both offering tremendous benefit to our residents’ education.
- State-of-the-art technology: Our teaching hospitals take pride in having superb, cutting edge technology, which their financial success allows.
- Diverse patients, varied procedures: With our large referral base and a wide range of potential exams, procedures, and pathology, residents experience vast opportunity for learning. Our main teaching campus is the quaternary care referral center for Coastal Virginia, population roughly 1.6 million.
- Scholarly Activity: Residents complete research and quality improvement projects with faculty mentors, and also receive support to present their research at national meetings. Residents also enjoy teaching opportunities.
Program's size offers the best of both worlds
- Small-program attention: The relatively small number of residents, 16, is highly conducive to learning, allowing ample opportunity for discussion in teaching conferences and for each resident to take cases. Each resident is well known, important, valued, and receives attention—they are never a face in a crowd.
- Large-program opportunity: Our residents enjoy the resources of the medical school campus, large medical center, large faculty, and large referral base.
Program Philosophy: Patient-Centered Care and Resident-Centered Training
The top priority is patient care, as it should always be for physicians. The best way to learn excellent patient care is to train in a program prioritizing patient care.
The most important academic mission of our faculty is our residents. We engage in research and other scholarly activities, and teach medical students, while our highest academic priority is our residents. Residents are trainees, always under appropriate supervision commensurate with their experience in accordance with regulations including from ACGME. We appreciate that residents are also responsible adult professionals. In an atmosphere of respect and collegiality, our residents enjoy and thrive in a program which values their professionalism, leadership, talents, initiative, and input.
Quality of Life in Norfolk/Coastal Virginia
The region offers an awesome quality of life, with flexible living/housing options.
Success begets success
EVMS radiology residency has a long, proven track record of excellence and success, whether by the standards of accreditation, residents’ performance on board exams, scholarly activities and awards, fellowships and careers attained by graduates, satisfaction of current residents, and/or feedback from faculty, alumni, and employers of alumni.