Eastern Virginia Medical School welcomes eligible senior visiting students in our senior electives as space permits. All visiting students must apply through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS). At this time, we are not accepting applications from international medical students.
To be eligible, visiting students must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled and in good standing at an LCME-accredited medical school in the US.
- Satisfactory completion of all basic science courses (including physical diagnosis or similar).
- Satisfactory completion by the start of the elective of a minimum of thirty-six (36) weeks of full-time clinical experience during which the student's primary responsibility was to follow patients on a teaching service. This experience must include at least four (4) weeks in each of the following: Family Medicine, General Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and General Surgery (or experiences deemed equivalent by EVMS).
- Be covered by malpractice or liability insurance during the term of the elective.
- Have personal health insurance coverage.
- Each student is responsible for obtaining accommodations during his/her stay here.
- No stipend will be paid by EVMS to visiting students taking electives for credit.
- EVMS will complete EVMS evaluations for all students and provide evaluations to the visiting student’s home institution. Evaluation forms provided by visiting students will not be completed.
- Credit for elective experiences will be given by the institution granting the MD degree to the student.
- All visiting students must check-in prior to the start of the elective and complete an exit interview with the Visiting Student Coordinator.
Elective Catalog and Rotation Schedule
For the 2020-2021 academic year, you will be able to view the catalog and schedule in Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) in early Spring 2020. We will begin processing applications April 15, 2020. For most electives, notifications will be given as soon as possible after the May 8th scheduling deadline for EVMS students, who hold first priority.
Up to twelve weeks of electives may be taken by visiting fourth-year students. Most electives are four weeks in duration, on a fixed block schedule. EVMS electives are not open to third-year students.
The EVMS 2020-2021 Elective Rotation Schedule is as follows
- BLOCK 1: July 6 - July 31, 2020
- BLOCK 2: August 3 - August 28, 2020
- BLOCK 3: August 31 - September 25, 2020
- BLOCK 4: September 28 - October 23, 2020
- BLOCK 5: October 26 - November 20, 2020
- BLOCK 6: November 23 - December 18, 2020
- BLOCK 7: January 4 - January 29, 2021
- BLOCK 8: February 1 - February 26, 2021
- BLOCK 9: March 1 - March 26, 2021
- BLOCK 10: March 29 – April 23, 2021
Application Process & Timeline
Applicants must apply through VSAS, at least 60 days PRIOR to the start of the rotation. Only complete applications will be reviewed. A complete application consists of the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Completed EVMS Immunization Form
- Current transcript (uploaded by your home institution)
- Background check
- Proof of HIPPA training
- Proof of Blood-borne Pathogens training
- Completed acknowledgement of visiting student requirements
- Student verified in VSAS by the home school
Please note some electives have individual requirements, which must be completed and submitted with your application. These vary by elective and will be specified in VSAS.
All elective requests must receive departmental approval before an offer can be extended. This is completed internally, once we have we have verified that your application meets the eligibility requirements. Please do not email departments directly for application status updates. Any communication outside of VSAS is not considered an official request for an elective or confirmed placement in an elective. After a decision has been made, the Visiting Student Coordinator will notify applicants in VSAS of their acceptance or denial.
Within 10 days from the date your acceptance notification is sent, you must accept or decline the offer in VSAS.
Within 3-5 days of your acceptance, you will receive a welcome letter via email from the Visiting Students Coordinator. This email will provide further instructions regarding completing the post-decision requirements in VSAS before your rotation begins.
At least 30 days PRIOR to the start of the rotation, the following post-decision required items must be received (further instructions included in welcome letter). This documentation should be uploaded into your VSAS application:
- Payment receipt of $200 acceptance fee (invoice will be sent to your email account)
- Proof of personal health insurance coverage
- Upload a copy of your driver’s license or passport
- Provide your Social Security Number in order to be set up in our partner hospital’s EHR system
- Review & acknowledge the Student Mistreatment Policy
- Review & acknowledge the Blood/bodily Fluid Exposure Procedure
- Review Emergency Management Procedures and provide complete contact information
- Proof of completion of all Sentara compliance trainings
Please note that your rotation is “confirmed” on our end once you have accepted the offer in VSAS, however, your application status in VSAS will not be set to “Offered Confirmed” until you have completed, and we have reviewed, your post-decision requirements documentation.
All questions regarding visiting student rotations at Eastern Virginia Medical School or the application process can be directed to: