The Biomedical Sciences Research Master's program is now participating in the Graduate Centralized Application Service (GradCAS).

Applicants to the program must have:

  • A bachelor’s degree prior to matriculating as an EVMS student
    • If the bachelor’s degree was issued by a U.S. college or university, as a general rule it should be from a regionally accredited institution. However, the program may grant exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
    • Official transcripts from the awarding institution must specify the date upon which the degree was issued.
  • A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (B) or better (preferred)
    • We consider an applicant's entire record, and applicants with a GPA between 2.8 and 3.0 may be accepted. We pay special attention to science and math course grades, and we prefer to accept applicants with mostly A's and B's in these courses.
  • Successfully completed the following courses:
    • General Biology (1 semester with lab)
    • Additional Biology (1 semester with lab)
    • General Chemistry (2 semesters with labs)
    • Organic Chemistry I (1 semester with lab)
    • Organic Chemistry II or Biochemistry (1 semester, lab not required)
    • General Math, Calculus or Statistics (1 semester)
    • College Math or Physics (1 semester)
  • Competitive Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
    • This requirement will no longer be necessary as of September 1, 2018.
  • Competitive Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores
    • This applies to international applicants only.

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer of credit may be allowed for courses comparable to those offered in our programs. Courses must have been taken at an accredited biomedical or biological sciences graduate program in the U.S. Grades of B or higher or a passing grade in a pass/fail course are required. The Biomedical Sciences Research master's program may accept up to 9 transfer credits. Transfer credit will be determined by the program director in consultation with program faculty after a student matriculates into the program.

Official transcripts must be sent to GradCAS. Test scores and supportive application documents should be electronically submitted or mailed to EVMS Admissions and Enrollment for Health Professions.