As passionate, creative and highly skilled educators, our mission is to provide comprehensive, engaging and in-depth art therapy education. Our students develop strong artist-therapist identities through growth-oriented and reflective classroom, studio, community and clinical experience. We prepare world-class art therapists, who are culturally responsive, community-involved, ethical professionals with successful careers.
The graduate Art Therapy and Counseling program will be recognized for excellence, integrity and innovation in art therapy education.
We adhere to high standards in which we accept responsibility for conducting ourselves as moral, rational professionals who are accountable stewards and ethical in our practices as art therapists and art therapy educators.
We foster a climate of energy and openness to explore using the creative process, which brings new knowledge and new connections to self, others and our world.
We value self-awareness and the capacity for reflection as intrinsic to effective art therapy practice and professional identity development. We strive to maintain these attributes within ourselves and to instill them in our students.
We dedicate ourselves to cultivating a learning environment that embraces diverse perspectives and lived experiences, developing capacity for empathic understanding and providing compassionate service to individuals, the community and our world.
We embrace collaboration as a fundamental practice to build a professional community based on support and encouragement of individual and collective expression of ideas for learning, best practice and growth.
We value a richness and intensity in developing ourselves to be competent in breadth of understanding about the complexity of the human experience which includes the unconscious, passion for healing and connections to soul.
- Prepare competent entry-level art therapists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- Prepare art therapists with clinical competence in assessment, diagnosis and treatment planning, which includes fostering skills in therapeutic use of a broad range of art processes and materials, integrative theoretical approaches and requisite education needed for counseling licensure.
- Prepare art therapists to speak and write professionally about art therapy.
- Encourage students to develop an innovative, professional, ethical, research-minded and culturally responsive approach to art therapy through academic inquiry and personal art making and self-reflection for self-awareness.
Accomplishment of our goals will serve the:
- Student, by fostering personal and professional discovery and development with the skills to become lifelong learners.
- Client/patient, through student preparation to provide competent client- and patient-centered primary and specialty care.
- Institution, by contributing to a seamless learning environment which fosters the development of competent and compassionate mental healthcare professionals.
- Community, by graduating professionals who understand the importance of community service, forging community alliances and having an understanding of culturally appropriate care.
- World, by graduating culturally competent professionals who practice across the globe and contribute to research and social action.