Thursday, May 12, 2022 • 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. • USS Wisconsin
EVMS graduates serving in the United States Armed Forces are sworn in as officers or officially recognized during this formal ceremony. This outdoor event is held aboard the USS Wisconsin berthed at Nauticus. The 'invitation only' event will include military graduates and their guests, EVMS faculty and staff, and other military personnel. Seating is limited to the first 150 guests. No food, drinks, candy or tobacco are allowed onboard the ship.
Eligible participants include military graduates in the following categories:
- Doctor of Medicine and Master of Public Health graduates who will be commissioned as an Officer in the United States Armed Forces following graduation.
- Master of Physician Assistant graduates who will be recognized, as they will not be formally commissioned until requirements are completed at a later date.
- Eligible branches: United States Air Force, United States Army, United States Navy (those branches with medical corps)
Students who meet the criteria listed above may register their participation and guests' attendance on the registration site. All other invited guests (EVMS faculty and staff, other military personnel) may also register to attend on this site. Please note that all faculty and graduates with former and current military service will be recognized at EVMS Commencement with an honor cord issued with academic regalia to be worn during the Ceremony.
- The USS Wisconsin does not allow working uniforms or civilian clothes for active duty military at the ceremony.
- Military graduates from the Doctor of Medicine and Master of Public Health programs should wear their service dress uniforms for their respective military branch.
- Military graduates from the Master of Physician Assistant program should wear business attire and their white coats, as they will not be formally commissioned until requirements are completed at a later date.
- Retired military personnel may wear dress uniforms. All uniform and grooming standards apply as if on active duty.
- Civilian guest dress code is business attire.
Parking is available at Plume Street, Main Street or at several nearby City of Norfolk parking garages. View parking options and fees here. At times, a flat fee (cash only) is required upon entry. You can also ride The Tide, Norfolk's light rail system, which extends from the Eastern Virginia Medical Center complex through downtown Norfolk. Learn more about how to Ride The Tide.
In the case of inclement weather on the day of the ceremony, the rain location is McCombs Auditorium in Lewis Hall on the Eastern Virginia Medical Center campus. Please be sure to check back here on the day of the ceremony for any location changes.
For any questions about eligibility or information about the event, please contact EVMS Special Events.