All presenters are expected to present an unbiased, content-validated, evidence-based presentation.
In accordance with the ACCME Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education:
Standard 1: Ensure Content is Valid states the following:
“All recommendations for patient care in accredited continuing education must be based on current science, evidence, and clinical reasoning, while giving a fair and balanced view of diagnostic and therapeutic options.”
“All scientific research referred to, reported, or used in accredited education in support or justification of a patient care recommendation must conform to the generally accepted standards of experimental design, data collection, analysis, and interpretation.”
Standard 2: Prevent Commercial Bias and Marketing in Accredited Continuing Education states the following:
“Accredited continuing education must protect learners from commercial bias and marketing.
The accredited provider must ensure that all decisions related to the planning, faculty selection, delivery, and evaluation of accredited education are made without any influence or involvement from the owners and employees of an ineligible company.
Accredited education must be free of marketing or sales of products or services. Faculty must not actively promote or sell products or services that serve their professional or financial interests during accredited education.
The accredited provider must not share the names or contact information of learners with any ineligible company or its agents without the explicit consent of the individual learner.”
Standard 3: Identify, Mitigate, and Disclose Relevant Financial Relationships highlights:
- All presenters must complete a Disclosure Form to identify any relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies as soon as it is received.
- If EVMS CME identifies any relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies, additional steps will be taken to mitigate these relationships.
Standard 4: Manage Commercial Support Appropriately - 4 applies only to accredited continuing education that receives financial or in-kind support from ineligible companies and emphasizes:
- Decision-making and disbursement: The accredited provider must make all decisions regarding the receipt and disbursement of the commercial support.
- Agreement: The terms, conditions, and purposes of the commercial support must be documented in an agreement between the ineligible company and the accredited provider.
Standard 5: Manage Ancillary Activities Offered in Conjunction with Accredited Continuing Education - applies only when there is marketing by ineligible companies or nonaccredited education associated with the accredited continuing education. For instance, an event with exhibitors. This standard highlights:
- Educational materials that are part of accredited education (such as slides, abstracts, handouts, evaluation mechanisms, or disclosure information) must not contain any marketing produced by or for an ineligible company, including corporate or product logos, trade names, or product group messages.