Research Day presenters discussed their work and took viewer questions during a 20-minute question-and-answer session on Zoom. This year's poster presentations can be found on the Research Day homepage or on the EVMS YouTube channel.
Room G Q&A Schedule
2:40 – 3 p.m.
- Ayan Ali, MD Program: “Gestational Diabetes: Understanding the Disease and Innovations in Diagnosis and Treatment”
- Thomas Donaldson, MD Program: “Concentric cardiac remodeling and hypertrophy as predictors of superimposed preeclampsia in women with chronic hypertension”
- Maymona Dulli, MD Program: “Can Mouse Ovarian Follicles Grow and Ovulate In Vitro?”
- Elizabeth Li, MD Program: “Discrimination during pregnancy and adverse pre- and postnatal outcomes - Findings from 2012-2018 Virginia Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System Data”
3 – 3:20 p.m.
- Asma Azam, MD Program: “Graves' Autoantibodies Exhibit Different Stimulating Activities in Thyroid and Orbital Cells Not Reflected by Clinical Assays”
- Nolan Martin, MD Program: “The Digital Patient Project: Trends in Data Standards for Modeling Human Biological Systems”
- Mukosolu Ndubisi, MD Program: “Evaluation of Plaque Stability in the Brachiocephalic Arteries of Sleep Fragmented, Atherosclerotic Mice”
- Alexsandr Zyskin, MD Program: “Role of BCR in Atherosclerosis”
3:20 – 3:40 p.m.
- Robert McCauley, MD Program: “Vascular Supply of the Abdomen on Angiography”
- Jason Toy, MD Program: “Incidental Carotid Artery Dissection or Artifact? Understanding Mirror-Image Artifact in Ultrasonography”
- Colin Woolard, MD Program: “A Case of Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (Wegener's Granulomatosis) Presenting with Bilateral Testicular Ischemia and Necrosis”
3:40 – 4 p.m.
- Jack Capra, MD Program: “Extreme Heat Events and Health Outcomes: Vulnerability Mapping of the City of Norfolk”
- Steven Liu, MD Program: “Impact of COVID-19 on Patient Appointment Attendance at HOPES Free Clinic with Text Message Reminders”
- Christian Schmidt, MD Program: “Telehealth Utilization and No-show Rates during COVID-19 Pandemic in the EVMS HOPES Clinic and Clínica Comunitaria Esperanza”
- Hemasree Yeluru, MD Program: “Evaluation of the Emergency Department Usage After a Hurricane: Identifying At-Risk Populations”
4 – 4:20 p.m.
- Mayuri Kathrotia, MD Program: “Changes After COVID-19 Among People Who Smoke Cigarettes”
- Sudarshan Mohan, MD Program: “A Drunken Heart: Severe Alcohol Withdrawal leading to Cardiac Arrest”
- Jason Pham, MD Program: “Invasive Fungal Infection caused by Curvularia Species in a Patient with Intranasal Drug Use: A Case Report”
- Kirstin Reed, MD Program: “The Combined Effects of Sleep Disorders and Cocaine on Central and Peripheral Inflammation”
4:20 – 4:40 p.m.
- Kari Flicker, MD Program: “A Quality Improvement Project to Evaluate and Improve Diagnosis and Treatment of UTIs in the Pediatric Urgent Care Setting”
- Daniel Heshmatipour, MD Program: “Validation of Child-Reported Quality of Life Instrument in Children with Sleep Disordered Breathing”
- Jason Pham, MD Program: “Determining Risk Factors Associated with Complications and Readmission in Pediatric Tissue Expander Surgery - an ACS NSQIP-P Analysis”
- Kendra Walker, MD Program: “Clinical and Biological Features and Treatment Outcomes of Children with Newly Diagnosed Acute Myeloid Leukemia and Hyperleukocytosis”