Research Day presenters discussed their work and took viewer questions during a 20-minute question-and-answer session on Zoom. This year's poster presentations can be found on the Research Day homepage or on the EVMS YouTube channel.
Room F Schedule
2:40 – 3 p.m.
- Phillip Ball, MD Program: “Studies of Cytochrome C Oxidase Activity in Different Regions of Autopsy Confirmed Alzheimer Disease Brains”
- Daniel Strock, MD Program: “Participant Screening for Ongoing Clinical Trials”
- Lavinia Wainwright, MD Program: “Reducing Caregiver Burden: Group Psychoeducation for Caregivers of Patients with Dementia”
- Jacob Whitley, MD Program: “Relative Proportion of T9861C Mutation in Alzheimer's Disease Brain Regions Using a New Allele Specific PCR Assay”
3 – 3:20 p.m.
- Abes Bautista Neughebauer, MD Program: “The Effect of Omecamtiv Mecarbil (OM) on the Steady-State ATPase and Thin filament Binding Affinity of the M493I Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Myosin (HCM) Mutant”
- Diamond King, MD Program: “Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress Induction in Endothelial Cell Function and Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction”
- Philip Olivares, MD Program: “Imaging Considerations for Pulmonary Embolism in Patients with Post-Surgical Congenital Cardiac Anatomy”
- Julianna Remo, MD Program: “Blood Pressure Quality Improvement through Home Monitoring and the heartBEAT program”
3:20 – 3:40 p.m.
- Emily Breeding, MD Program: “STOP THE BLEED: Evaluating the Efficacy of Thrombelastography in Monitoring Novel Oral Anticoagulant Associated Coagulopathy”
- Steven Forte, MD Program: “Evaluating the efficacy of Covid-19 antibody response after vaccination in solid organ transplant patients using a multiplex bead-based assay”
- Alexander Maddock, MD Program: “Lentiviral Vector Creation for the Treatment of Alpha-Thalassemia Major”
- Ian Mandybur, MD Program: “Correlation of VWF levels and Platelet Reactivity in a Canine Model of MCAO: Can VWF Inhibition Improve Thrombolytic Efficacy?”
3:40 – 4 p.m.
- Nathaniel Faber, MD Program: “Understanding, Improving & Tracking of Diabetes Care in the Western Tidewater Region of Virginia”
- Lydia Lukomski, MD Program: “Portsmouth Diabetes Prevention Project: EVMS Connect4Health+ Wellness Coaching during COVID-19”
- Rohan Sharma, MD Program: “A Retrospective Comparative Analysis of Patients Diagnosed with Diabetes and Hypertension at EVMS HOPES and Clínica Esperanza Student-Run Free Clinics”
4 – 4:20 p.m.
- Abby Hankins, MD Program: “Biologic Graft Utilization Trends for Rotator Cuff Pathology: Superior Capsular Reconstruction on the Decline”
- Caleb Morgan, MD Program: “Area deprivation index and its effect on patient-reported outcome measures and satisfaction following arthroscopic rotator cuff repair”
- Victor Yu, MD Program: “Operative Time Duration as A Risk Factor for the Occurrence of Adverse Airway Events In Pediatric Cleft Palate Repair - An ACS NSQIP-P Study”
- Victor Yu, MD Program: “Optimizing Anchor Placement for Cone-Shaped Rotator Cuff Tears”
4:20 – 4:40 p.m.
- Abby Hankins, MD Program: “Bariatric Surgery Red Flag Patients: Can We Predict Who Advances to Surgery and Worse Post-operative Outcomes?”
- Jacob Hughes, MD Program: “Impact of SARS-CoV-2 on Surgical Case Load, Surgical Resident Wellness, and ABSITE Scores”
- Joseph Rogers, MD Program: “Conversion of prior Fibular Bone Graft to Total Hip Arthroplasty via the Anterior Approach”
- Molly Sternick, MD Program: “Minimizing the Disease Burden of Small Bowel Obstructions: Timing of the Gastrograffin Small Bowel Follow Through”