Wheeled mobility can be one of the most critical needs faced by patients with a physical disability. It can be the difference between isolation and independence.
Why a wheelchair clinic?
- Medicare will approve only one wheelchair every five years
- Medcare requires face-to-face (in person) mobility exam by a physician
- Adults in Hampton Roads have limited opportunity for physician evaluation, assessment and recommendation of a wheelchair that fits their medical conditions.
NOTE: Recommendations from a physical/occupational therapist or a physician referral are required.
What we offer
- We provide a face-to-face mobility exam by a PMR physician who has experience in fitting wheel chair needs with specific medical related disabilities. The evaluation will include, but not limited to:
- Cardiopulmonary exam
- Musculoskeletal exam (arm and leg strength and ROM)
- Explanation when a less-costly alternative will not meet in-home mobility needs (cane, walker, manual wheelchair)
- Neurological exam (gait, balance, coordination)
- How a powered mobile device (PMD) will help with at least one of the patient's activities of daily living (ADLs) within the home
- Height and weight recommendations for specific disease processes
- An evaluation for a replacement chair and assistance with insurance appeal and/or grievance for a chair that is not the right fit
- Referral to physical therapist with training in specific wheelchair measurement skills if appropriate