Why a wheelchair clinic?
- Recommendations from a physical/occupational therapist or a physician referral are required.
- Medicare will approve only one wheelchair every five years.
- Medicare requires face-to-face mobility exam by a physician.
- Adults in Hampton Roads have limited opportunity for physician evaluation, EVMS has started the wheelchair clinic to address the need in the community.
What we offer
Wheeled mobility can be one of the most critical needs faced by patients with a physical disability. It can be the difference between isolation and independence. We provide a face-to-face mobility exam by a PMR physician who has experience in fitting wheelchair needs with specific medical related disabilities. The evaluation will include, but not limited to:
- Cardiopulmonary exam
- Musculoskeletal exam (arm and leg strength and range of motion)
- Explanation when a less-costly alternative will not meet in-home mobility needs (cane, walker, manual wheelchair)
- Neurological exam (gait, balance, coordination)
- How a powered mobile device (PMD) will help with at least one of the patient's activities of daily living (ADLs) within the home
- Height and weight recommendations for specific disease processes
- An evaluation for a replacement chair and assistance with insurance appeal and/or grievance for a chair that is not the right fit
- Referral to a physical therapist with training in specific wheelchair measurement skills if appropriate