Diabetes in Pregnancy Program
Established in 1992, this program continues to grow as the prevalence of diabetes in our community exceeds the national average. It has become both nationally and internationally renowned.
The Diabetes in Pregnancy program is housed in the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine/Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynecology of the Eastern Virginia Medical School. A team of five certified diabetes educators work with Maternal-Fetal Medicine physicians to offer a unique and comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to diabetes management prior to and during pregnancy.
The program's goal is to ensure that women with diabetes have a healthy pregnancy outcome for both mother and child. Services include either co-managed care with the referring physician or complete obstetric and diabetes care when deemed necessary.
Services offered to patients with diabetes include:
- Preconception counseling and diabetes management
- Individualized diabetes education for patients with diabetes diagnosed prior to pregnancy
- Group educational sessions for patients with Gestational Diabetes
- Nutritional Counseling
- Exercise Counseling
- Education regarding the use of oral agents, insulin therapy and management of hypoglycemia during pregnancy
- Insulin pump and continuous glucose sensing initiation and management
- Prenatal diagnosis and fetal surveillance via state of the art ultrasound techniques
- 24/7 access to clinical support
- Post partum assessment and monitoring
As part of its outreach and educational focus, the program actively participates in many educational activities offered by area hospitals to improve the quality of care provided to pregnant women with diabetes in our community. Program members are also actively involved with the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation (JDF), the American Association of Diabetic Educators (AADE) and the American Diabetes Association (ADA) Pregnancy Council at a local and national level.
- Carbohydrates and Diabetes
- Effects of Diabetes on the Baby
- Effects of Diabetes on the Mother
- Exercise with Diabetes During Pregnancy
- Gestational Diabetes
- Glucose Monitoring
- Management of Diabetes During Pregnancy
- Medications for Diabetes
- Nutrition and Diabetes
- Past Pregnancy
- Postpartum Care
- Preconception Care
- Screening for Diabetes in Pregnancy
- Substance Abuse in Pregnancy
- Supplemental Insulin
- Types of Diabetes