Vacation and Travel during the Pandemic
Last Updated: 03-20-2020 1:35 p.m.
For the health and safety of the EVMS community, EVMS is strongly recommending all personal travel be postponed due to COVID-19. COVID-19 outbreak locations are rapidly changing, as are CDC, US State Department and state health department guidelines. This guidance applies to all employees, including faculty, staff and residents.
- Vacation leave remains subject to approval by your department. Such approval may be withheld, or rescinded after approval, for legitimate business reasons such as an increased risk of COVID-19 transmission to the EVMS community, or concerns over labor shortages caused by subsequent quarantines.
- Any employee who travels (vacation or otherwise), to an area with COVID-19 outbreaks or who believes that they may have been exposed to an individual with COVID-19 while traveling, must contact EVMS Human Resources at 757.446.6043 and notify their supervisor before returning to the workplace. You may be required to self-quarantine (remain out of the office) for 14 days.
- Employees with flu-like or respiratory illness symptoms must contact Human Resources at 757.446.6043. All such employees must be cleared by Occupational Health before entering, or returning to, the workplace.
- Employees who report to work sick must be sent home immediately and must contact Human Resources at 757.446.6043.
- All employees will be required to use personal leave time (vacation or sick) during any quarantine period that results from personal travel unless the employee is approved to work remotely.
- You may report individuals in the workplace who have traveled to an outbreak location or who are exhibiting symptoms by emailing EVMSHR@evms.edu or calling 757.446.6043.
We are continuously monitoring developments and will update this guidance if and when the situation or guidelines change.