Medical Master's Program Admissions Requirements
Applicants to the program must have:
- a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. or Canada* prior to matriculating at EVMS. Official transcripts from the awarding institution must indicate the date the degree was conferred.
- successfully completed each of the following medical school prerequisite courses with a grade of "C" or better:
- 2 semesters or 3 quarters of physics with labs
- 2 semesters or 3 quarters of organic chemistry/biochemistry with labs
- 2 semesters or 3 quarters of chemistry with labs
- 2 semesters or 3 quarters of biology with labs
Online coursework is not accepted to fulfill prerequisite requirements. Prerequisite courses taken abroad are generally not accepted, however exceptions may be granted on a case-by-case basis.
- a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 (B-) or better.
- MCAT - (Students pursuing Medical School)
- [One-Year Program] MCAT with a score of at least 27 on the old exam or 503 on the new exam.
- [Two-Year Program] MCAT with a score of at least 23 on the old exam or 496 on the new exam.
- We will accept MCAT scores from exams taken January 2015 to present for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Applicants with an MCAT score below the accepted minimum for either program will not be considered for admission.
DAT - (Students pursuing Dental School)
- taken the DAT with an Academic Average score of 18, with no less than an 17 in any section. We will accept DAT scores taken from January 2014 to present for the 2017-2018 school year.
- GRE - We do not accept GRE scores.
- Please click here to see the EVMS MD requirements which are slightly different from the Medical Master's program. If applying to our MD program, you need to make sure you also fulfill those requirements.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents.
All courses to fulfill the degree requirements for the Medical Master's program must be taken at EVMS. No credit will be given for courses taken at another institution.
Since we have a rolling admissions process, applicants are encouraged to apply early and submit all of their application materials as they become available, even when planning to take the MCAT/DAT at a later date. When your MCAT/DAT score is received, your file will be complete and ready for review by the admissions committee.
*International Transcript Requirements
Transcript Evaluation: Applicants who attended any institution outside of the United States must contact one of the following credentialing agencies to submit transcripts for OFFICIAL evaluation: www.wes.org or www.ece.org. Instruct the credentialing agency to send the OFFICIAL evaluation (and translation) directly to the Office of Admissions and Enrollment for Health Professions (address below). The third party documents must be comprehensive and include a course by course evaluation and a GPA calculation. Transcript quality points is a plus.
Study Abroad credits hosted through a university in the U.S. may or may not need an evaluation. Please contact the Medical Master's office for clarification.
Evaluations are mandatory even for transcripts from institutions that report grades in English. This provides EVMS with a US credit equivalency and allows the transcripts to be reviewed accurately. WES and ECE are preferred credentialing services.
Translation: If the academic institution that you attended does not issue documents in English, the credentialing agency may require that you submit a word-for-word translation of your transcripts if they do not have this service available for purchase. You can contact University Language Services (ULS) at www.universitylanguage.com to submit your transcript for translation and instruct them to send the translated transcript to the credentialing agency.
An OFFICIAL transcript must be submitted to the EVMS Office of Admissions & Enrollment. The third party documents DO NOT exempt the applicant from this institutional requirement.
If you need more clarification about transcript translation and evaluation please review this short video: International Transcripts
School of Health Professions
Office of Admissions and Enrollment
Attention: M.S. in Biomedical Sciences, Medical Master's
Eastern Virginia Medical School
700 W. Olney Road, Room 1155
Norfolk, VA 23507-1607