The Faculty Senate provides representation for EVMS faculty. Each institute, center and department has a faculty senator. The Faculty Senate:
- Initiates, develops and participates in the formulation of the school’s academic or educational policies and makes recommendations to the dean
- Considers policies, programs, and other matters as the Dean, the President, the administration, the Dean's Executive Committee, the Dean’s Council of Chairs, Health Services, various student organizations or individual members of the Faculty may propose
- Reviews proposed changes to the Faculty Handbook and provide a written position statement to the Dean and the appropriate Standing Committee of EVMS outlining support or any suggested revisions prior to presentation at the Dean’s Executive Committee
- Helps create, maintain and protect an environment conducive to the growth of scholarship, creativity, learning, teaching, research, clinical excellence, service and respect for human rights and dignity
- Accepts and shares responsibilities with the administration and students in order to improve the school’s stature and effectiveness
Find more information about the Faculty Senate (myPortal login required).
General Faculty Meetings
EVMS Faculty Affairs and Professional Development holds four general faculty meetings per year. Faculty Senate reports are presented at these meetings. Learn more about general faculty meetings in the EVMS faculty handbook.
Faculty Senate Meetings
The Faculty Senate will meet monthly, usually on the third Monday of each month; the alternate date is the fourth Wednesday or the fourth Monday.
Exceptional meetings may be convened; they will be called by the President, when appropriate, upon the recommendation of a Senator or other Faculty member if determined appropriate by the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate.