Guidelines For Elective Application and Registration:
EVMS welcomes visiting students to take fourth-year electives here. Up to twelve (12) weeks of electives may be taken; extensions beyond that limit may be provided in special circumstances by the Associate Dean for Education. Third-year clerkships are not open to visiting students. Electives are listed in the M4 Electives Catalog 2017 - 2018.
Qualifications that must be met by the visiting student:
- Enrollment in an LCME-accredited medical school in the U.S.
- Satisfactory completion of all basic science courses (including physical diagnosis or similar).
- Satisfactory completion by the start of the elective of a minimum of thirty-six (36) weeks of full-time clinical experience during which the student's primary responsibility was to follow patients on a teaching service. This experience must include at least four (4) weeks in each of at least four (4) separate disciplines from the following: Family Medicine, General Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and General Surgery.
Documentation and fees that must be provided at least four (4) weeks prior to the start of the elective:
- Elective Objectives Form for each elective requested. You are to complete Section I, and your school official is to complete Section II.
- Visiting Student Health Requirements Letter completed by your health-care provider.
- Official school transcript
- Proof of HIPAA training
- Proof of Blood-borne pathogens training
- Criminal background report
- Proof of personal health insurance coverage
- Non-refundable application fee of $150.00
The required documents must be submitted to:
Charlene J. Cooper
Office of Medical Education
Eastern Virginia Medical School
P.O. Box 1980
Norfolk, VA 23501
Any communication with other departments is not considered an official request for an elective. Confirmation must be received from the Office of Medical Education.
- In most cases, confirmation for electives will be given as soon as possible after the May 5th
scheduling deadline for EVMS students, who have first priority for electives.
- Prior to beginning the elective, each visiting student must register with the EVMS Registrar’s
Office. A student identification card will then be provided by the Personnel Office.
- Each student is responsible for obtaining accommodations during his/her stay here.
- No stipend will be paid by EVMS to visiting students taking electives for credit.
- EVMS will provide evaluations to the sponsoring institutions. Credit for elective experiences will be given by the institution granting the M.D. degree to the student.