Requirements for Admission
- Complete and submit online application, including $60 nonrefundable application fee.
- A master’s or doctoral degree awarded by a regionally accredited institution in the field of health care, education, management, or related discipline.
- Grade Point Average of 3.0 or better (on a 4-point scale) in the highest level degree obtained, or comparable achievement in a program that does not use GPA (e.g., honors or high pass in medical school).
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who can reasonably assess the applicant’s ability to successfully complete the online doctoral program.
- Personal essay of approximately 300-500 words describing how this program will enhance the applicant's academic and/or professional career goals.
- Current resume/CV documenting professional experience and educational achievements.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended sent electronically or in a sealed, unopened envelope directly to the EVMS Office of Admissions & Enrollment. Transcripts from institutions that awarded a degree must include the date upon which the degree was issued.
- Transfer of credit may be allowed for course work taken at a regionally accredited institution of higher learning such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, for courses in which a grade of B (3.0) or higher was obtained. The Doctor of Health Sciences program may accept up to 12 transfer credits. Transfer credit will be determined by the Program Director.
International Applicants Only:
English Proficiency Exams. Competitive applicants should achieve or surpass the following scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 80 for the iBT (preferred), 213 for CBT, or 550 for the PBT. Scores must have been obtained within two years of the application date. This requirement will be waived for applicants who have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States.
In addition to official transcripts, applicants must provide both a transcript evaluation and translation, including a course-by-course evaluation and an overall GPA calculation:
The application submission and review is on a rolling schedule for students seeking entry into the program. Applications received will be considered based on merit and space availability. Applications will be reviewed as soon as possible, and students will be notified of the admissions committee decision. Students who plan to seek financial aid are advised to submit their applications as early as possible. Upon acceptance into the program, a $300 non-refundable matriculation fee (which will be credited towards the first semester's tuition) is required to secure class placement.
Official transcripts, scores and supportive application documents should be electronically submitted or mailed to the Office of Admissions and Enrollment for Health Professions at the address below. If you experience technical difficulties or related problems in completing your online application, please contact:
EVMS School of Health Professions
Office of Admissions and Enrollment Attention:
Eastern Virginia Medical School
700 W. Olney Road, Room 1155
Norfolk, VA 23507-1607