Biomedical Sciences, PhD Program Application Process
The application deadline is February 1. Applications are reviewed annually in the spring for the following fall semester, which begins in mid-August each year.
All application materials must be received by February 1, including:
- Completed online application form, including your personal statement, along with the $60 application fee.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, sent by the registrar at those institutions. Official transcripts from the awarding institution must specify the date upon which the degree was issued.
- Candidates must have a B average or higher (3.0 GPA)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test scores, sent directly from the Educational Testing Service. The ETS code for reporting GRE scores to EVMS is 5729.
- TOEFL scores sent by the testing agency (international applicants only).
- Three letters of recommendation submitted using the form provided within the online application system. At least two letters should be written by faculty at colleges attended by the applicant who are familiar with the student's academic and research capabilities. Professional references only; letters from personal friends and family members will not be considered.
- Please note that transcripts and test scores take 4-6 weeks to reach us; please plan accordingly.
International Applicants/Additional Procedures
Transcript Evaluation: International students whose native language is not English may contact one of the following credentialing agencies to submit transcripts for OFFICIAL evaluation: www.wes.org or ies.aacrao.org. Instruct the credentialing agency to send the OFFICIAL evaluation (and translation) directly to the Director of Admissions & Enrollment (address below).
Translation: If the academic institution that you attended does not issue documents in English, the credentialing agency will require that you submit a word-for-word translation of your transcripts. You can contact University Language Services (ULS) at www.universitylanguage.com to submit your transcript for translation and instruct them to send the translated transcript to the credentialing agency you chose.
NOTE: An OFFICIAL transcript must be submitted to the EVMS Office of Admissions & Enrollment as well as the credentialing agency of your choice.
Official transcripts and test scores should be mailed to the Office of Admissions and Enrollment for Health Professions at the address shown below. If you experience technical difficulties or related problems in completing your online application, please contact:
School of Health Professions
Office of Admissions and Enrollment
Attn: Biomedical Sciences Ph.D. Program
Eastern Virginia Medical School
700 W. Olney Road, Room 1155
Norfolk, VA 23507-1607
For more information about the Biomedical Sciences, PhD Program, please contact:
Program Director, Earl Godfrey, Ph.D.
Department of Pathology and Anatomy, EVMS
Biomedical Sciences Program Office
Michelle R. Hammer, Program Administrator