Internal Medicine had a stellar showing at the awards ceremony during the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Virginia Chapter of the American College of Physicians (ACP) Sept. 22, 2023, in Richmond. EVMS Internal Medicine faculty dominated the recognition ceremony, bringing home awards in seven of 10 categories. EVMS had far more award recipients than any other academic institution.
"The ACP awards are well deserved and a wonderful reflection on the quality of faculty and leadership we are so fortunate to have within Internal Medicine and across the institution," says Alfred Abuhamad, MD, President and Provost and Dean of the School of Medicine. (Pictured above are award winner Christian Weaver, MD, with Sami Tahhan, MD, Professor of Internal Medicine, who chaired the awards committee).
The EVMS honorees at the ACP event were:
- Matthew Bernens, MD, received the Community Teaching Award. Dr. Bernens is an Assistant Professor and Associate Program Director, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship.
- Thomas Manser, MD, received the Outpatient Internal Medicine Teaching Award. Dr. Manser is a Professor and Division Chief for Internal Medicine.
- Aaron Mills, MD, received the Inpatient Internal Medicine Teaching Award. Dr. Mills is an Assistant Professor and Internal Medicine Clerkship Director.
- Hamid Okhravi, MD, receive the Paul Florentino Volunteerism Award. Dr. Okhravi is an Associate Professor in the Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine division.
- Timothy Ori, DO, received the Inpatient Subspecialist Teaching Award. Dr. Ori is an Assistant Professor in the Pulmonary and Critical Care division.
- Rehan Qayyum, MBBS, received the Mentorship Award. Dr. Qayyum is the Harry H. Mansbach Chair in Internal Medicine and Professor and Chair of Internal Medicine.
- Christian Weaver, MD, received the Outpatient Subspecialist Teaching Award. Dr. Weaver is an Assistant Professor in the Infectious Diseases division.