Radiation Safety Office
Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) is licensed to possess and use radioactive material by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Each individual proposing to use radioactive material in research is required, by license conditions, to submit applications that document previous training and experience with radioactive material and describes the specific radionuclide and proposed protocol. Individuals authorized to use these materials are either:
- Authorized Users - faculty members
- Qualified Users - laboratory technicians and students
- Restricted Users - individuals that have not had prior training that must work under direct supervision of an Authorized User
EVMS Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) offers the capabilities and services of an orthovoltage x-ray beam for scientific research that requires irradiation. For more details pertaining to the equipment used by EH&S, please refer to the document on Irradiation Services.
- Beam use is charged per exposure, per Gray, rounded up to the nearest whole Gray
- For single exposure lasting 45 minutes or longer, the per-hour rate will apply in 15-minute increments
- Calibration is charged per exposure event and does not include specialized phantom preparation
|User Category||Per Gray||Per Hour||Calibration|