Molecular Core Facility
The EVMS Molecular Core Facility supports research and education for faculty, students and staff on campus as well as off-campus research entities. For a nominal fee, users enjoy unlimited access to technologically advanced equipment for the analysis of DNA, RNA and protein. These resources are well maintained and secured by a swipe-card system. A detailed listing of the instruments available in the Molecular Core Facility can be accessed by clicking the Shared Resources link.
The Director provides one-on-one training sessions and personalized experimental services for a modest fee. The facility is also used as teaching space for laboratory courses offered by the Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program.
Questions regarding the Molecular Core Facility, its fee structure, and the laboratory courses should be directed to the Facility Director, Dr. Julia A. Sharp. Email: MolecularCore@evms.edu
- The DNA Sequencing service is provided for a nominal fee of $9 per sample which covers the reaction, cleanup and electrophoresis. There is a $27 minimum charge. DNA and primers should be supplied in the following concentrations with amounts needed per reaction in parentheses:
- Plasmids, 75ng/µL (2 µL)
- PCR products, 10ng/µL (5 µL)
- PCR products must be gel purified or otherwise verified to be a single product.
- Primers, 3.2µM (1 µL); please note the Tm
- Primers should be 100-150bp upstream of the region of interest.
- DNA and primers should be supplied separately and in excess volume. Please note that any sample that is not provided in the appropriate concentration, as listed, will incur an additional $2 dilution fee for processing.
- Results will be emailed and provided as a *.ab1 data file.
- The Microarray service is provided using an Affymetrix® Gene Atlas Microarray System. Affymetrix® Microarray strips containing 4 arrays are used to examine Whole Transcriptome (WT) expression or miRNA profiling. A 4-sample minimum is required; fees are as follows:
- $490 per sample for standard WT arrays*
- $250 - $490 per sample for miRNA arrays*
Dr. Sharp is available for consultation by appointment. Please email her at MolecularCore@evms.edu to arrange a meeting.
Classes & Training
Classes and Training sessions are scheduled at various times during the year. Contact Dr. Sharp for more information.
If the Molecular Core Facility was utilized for generating data for publication, please acknowledge the facility within your manuscript, where appropriate.