Fighting Cancer as a Community
Our dedicated cancer research team brings together experts from a range of specialties including microbiology, pathology, surgery and radiation oncology.
We’ve partnered with clinicians to create a biorepository that’s one of the largest of its kind, housing 85,000 cancer biospecimens, each one a key to uncovering the characteristics that make cancer deadly.
Our research focuses on the types of cancer most prevalent in Hampton Roads and Eastern Virginia — those that your family, friends and neighbors are most likely to face:
- Virginia’s Prostate Cancer mortality rate is the eighth highest in America.
- One in eight women will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
- Mortality rates for Pancreatic Cancer are high because it’s often diagnosed late.
- Lung Cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in our area.
- Norfolk has the highest rate of Head and Neck Cancers in Virginia.