Thanks to everyone who helped make our inaugural EVMS Choosing Wisely Day a big success in November. The event raised awareness about wasteful spending in healthcare and the rising cost of care.
Congratulations to the winners of the innovation contest:
- First Prize ($40 Amazon gift card)- “Hand in Hand: 3D printed prosthetics for Children”- Samir Abu-Hamad, Suraj Patel and Phillip Connell, members of the MD Class of 2020
- Second Prize ($30 Amazon gift card) –“Smart Home Technology to Mitigate Financial Burden of Neurodegenerative Disease” - Samantha Carlton, Justin Aflatooni and James Coxe, members of the MD Class of 2020
- Third Prize ($20 Amazon gift card)- “Sexually Transmitted Infections in Norfolk: A Comprehensive Approach to Reduce Recidivism Rates.”-Pooja Gajulapalli, MD Class of 2022, Bhavana Nangunuri, MD Class of 2022 and Katie O’Connell, MD Class of 2021.
Congratulations to the winners of the innovation poster competition:
- First Prize (Prize $30 Amazon gift card) - Women’s Health Group: Zixuan Yi, Alice Kisteneff, Abigail Barger and Cassandra Dao
- Second Prize (Prize $20 Amazon gift card) -Monroe Mentors: Daniel Mai, Eunice Wu, Kristen Peterson, Francis Pham, Yasmina Abdous, and Himabindu Gampa
Also part of the event was the naming of the MD Class of 2022 EVMS Choosing Wisely STARS: Sudarshan Mohan and Lauren Keenan.
Choosing Wisely is an initiative of the ABIM Foundation that seeks to advance a national dialogue on avoiding unnecessary medical tests, treatments and procedures. EVMS is committed to education about cost-conscious care to improve patient-centered outcomes as part of the CareForward Curriculum. Learn more about Choosing Wisely.