Research and Discovery
The EVMS Fetal Cardiovascular Center combines the clinical aspect of fetal cardiovascular diagnosis and treatment along with advancement in research and discovery.
The Fetal Cardiovascular Center has the capability to not only diagnose and treat fetal abnormalities, but also conduct cutting-edge research studies on fetal cardiovascular diseases and placental function.
Ongoing research initiatives include:
- Placental Structure and function as markers of high-risk pregnancies
- Diabetic pregnancies and fetal cardiovascular abnormalities
- Diagnosis of congenital heart disease in early gestation
- Fetal cardiac function in normal and abnormal pregnancies
Specialists at EVMS are renowned for their use of ultrasound technology to diagnose fetal congenital heart disease.
- EVMS Maternal-Fetal Medicine has developed software for the advancement in ultrasound detection of congenital heart disease in partnership with industry leaders
- EVMS is partnering with Toshiba Medical on an NIH-funded study using novel ultrasound tools on the placenta during early pregnancy to predict poor outcomes
- EVMS Maternal-Fetal Medicine serves as an international training site for prenatal ultrasound and fetal echocardiography
- EVMS is one of the only institutions in the country to have integrated ultrasound technology into its student curriculum