Healthy Snacks on the Run
Try these healthy snacks, about 15 grams of carbohydrates each. If you are trying to lose weight, you may want to have less of the amounts suggested.
If you have diabetes, check your blood glucose before the next meal to see the effect of the snack you chose. Enjoy!
- 4-5 whole-grain crackers with small amount (less than 1 ounce) of low-fat cheese or less than 1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 4-5 whole-grain crackers with small amount of peanut butter (less than 1 tbsp.)
- 3 cups air-popped popcorn, raw veggies with plain yogurt + cottage-cheese dip
- ½ whole-grain sandwich with low-fat ham, grilled chicken or fish; avoid bologna or hotdogs
- 1 cup vegetable/low-sodium broth soup
- ½ cup low-fat or non-fat plain or flavored yogurt with artificial flavors or no sugar added (try Greek yogurt), add a few fresh blueberries or unsalted nuts
- 2 tbsp. unsalted nuts + 2 tbsp. raisins
- 3 gingersnaps or 5 vanilla wafers or 8 animal crackers
- Less than 12 baked tortilla chips and salsa