The international team of clinical providers, scientists and educators at the EVMS Strelitz Diabetes Center (SDC) offers the highest-quality treatment and patient care for individuals with endocrine and metabolic disorders. We seek to prevent the debilitating complications of neuropathy and cardiovascular disease, and we are committed to improving quality of life for patients with diabetes and other metabolic disorders by developing innovative methods for treatment and diagnosis.
A wide range of expertise
- Diabetes and its complications (Type 1 and Type 2)
- Adrenal, thyroid and pituitary disorders
- Lipid disorders
- Reproductive disorders (PCOS)
- Erectile dysfunction, hypogonadism
- Metabolic bone disease (osteoporosis)
- Neuroendocrine Tumors
Diabetes Patient Appointments
To make an appointment and receive an information packet, please call us at 757-446-5908.
Once you have made your appointment, an information package will be mailed to you. Please take note of the following items that you will your attention prior to your appointment.
Appointment Check List
The history intake form included in the information package. Please fill in all of the requested information before your appointment.
Any previous medical records and prior laboratory test results, including hemoglobin A1c, TSH, lipids, liver function tests, creatinine, urine micro-albumin and vitamin D
Please note: If laboratory tests were not conducted in the three months leading up to your scheduled appointment, please do an overnight fast and skip breakfast on the day of your appointment if possible. This will enable us to re-test your laboratory values on-site. Please check with your insurance company to make sure your laboratory tests do not have to be conducted at another site.
A formal eye exam report from your ophthalmologist (eye doctor). If you don't have a report and are unable to obtain one prior to your appointment, please bring the name and contact information for your eye doctor.
All of your prescription medications or, at minimum, a list of these medications and dosages.
Pharmacy contact information.
Your blood sugar meter and logbook.
Please note that during your appointment, you will be asked to remove your socks and shoes for a foot examination.
We ask that you arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. If you arrive later than 15 minutes after your scheduled appointment time, your appointment may need to be rescheduled.
Neuroendocrine Unit Appointments
To make an appointment or obtain further information, please call 757-446-5067 or 757-446-5908.
The Strelitz Diabetes Center offers the following programs:
- Diabetes Self-Management Education Program
- One on One Interaction with a Certified Diabetes Educator and Certified Nutritionist
- Diabetes Group Education Classes
- Insulin Pump Evaluation and Initiation
- Insulin Pump Support Group
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring Evaluation and Education
- Thyroid Ultrasound and Biopsy
- Testing for Peripheral and Autonomic Diabetic Neuropathies
- DEXA (Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry) Scanning for Measuring Bone Density
- Clinical Trials (includes opportunities for patient participation)
Meet our Hampton Roads health-care providers:
- Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners
- Nurses and Diabetes Educators