Institutional Review Board (IRB) support is an important library service at your disposal. Research librarians are available to conduct literature searches and provide training sessions in the use of information resources.
EVMS research librarians are:
- the IRB's library liaison
- trained information specialists who will provide literature searches for research protocols
- well-informed about the library's collections, services, policies and resources
- knowledgeable of the nature of research conducted by EVMS
Your research librarians will:
- provide in-depth searches of literature
- look for similar or duplicate research
- select pertinent literature based on your protocol literature search request
- search for updated literature since prior approval
- provide training sessions in the use of research databases
Why are research librarians a resource?
- EVMS librarians can "help provide protection of human subjects"* by conducting thorough literature searches.
- EVMS librarians will "help minimize risks to the institution" as a result of thorough literature searches.
- EVMS librarians are "a vital partner in fulfilling the research imperative" because they are expert searchers.
*Robinson JG, Gehle JL. “Medical research and the Institutional Review Board.” Reference Services Review. 2005;33(1):20-24.
It is our pleasure to serve as your research librarians, and we encourage you to take advantage of this important service.
Request a literature search
Please email the completed protocol literature search request form to email@example.com. Be sure to supply as much information about your protocol as possible and attach your protocol abstract if available.
IRB Library Contacts: Esther Sarino, MLIS