All applications to our residency programs must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service.
We will not accept applications via email or fax. Students can apply to the Internal Medicine and Geriatric Medicine track:
- Internal Med/Geriatrics | 2980140C1
We accept and review applications through Oct. 31. We will fill all intern positions through the National Residency Matching Program.
In addition to the dean's letter, we require three letters of recommendation. A letter from the department chair is not required.
The applicant's personal statement should reflect a strong interest in pursuing geriatric medicine as a career and have documented activities that demonstrate involvement in geriatric patient care, education and research.
We do not filter applicants based solely upon a minimum USMLE or COMLEX score. The average Step 1 USMLE and COMLEX scores for our current intern class are 229 and 541, respectively.
- All steps must be passed on the first attempt.
- COMLEX 2 PE and/or USMLE Step 2 CK and 2 CS scores must be reported to the program by Jan. 31.
- We accept COMLEX scores but recommend submitting USMLE scores as well.
The program maintains the right to review applications on an as-is basis. If your credentials do not meet the stated requirements, this is not an immediate exclusion of your application.
If you have been selected to interview, you will receive an email through ERAS. Due to the volume of applications, we regret that we are unable to provide you with a status report regarding your application.
We interview applicants from October through January. We offer a dinner with current residents the evening
before all interview dates. This is an opportunity for you and our residents to get to know each other in an
informal setting. We consider this an important part of the interview process and will seek feedback on
applicants from our current residents.
A typical interview schedule starts at 7:30 a.m. and ends by 1:30 p.m.
Interview day itinerary
7:30 a.m.: Arrive at EVMS Internal Medicine (Hofheimer Hall)
7:45 a.m.: Welcome (program director or associate program director)
8 a.m.: Morning report or grand rounds
9:15 a.m.: Overview (chair or vice chair)
9:45 a.m.: Introduction to the program (chief resident)
10 a.m.: One-on-one interviews (various faculty)
Noon: Lunch with current residents
12:45 p.m.: Tour of Sentara Norfolk General (optional)
1:30 p.m.: Interviews end
Our program reviews all qualified applicants. However, EVMS only sponsors J-1 visas. We offer interviews to highly qualified international medical graduates who:
- Submit USMLE scores and three letters of recommendation, as indicated above.
- Have graduated within 5 years from the residency start date (July 1).
- Submit their Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates Certification (ECFMG) by Jan. 31.
- Have, ideally, 12 months of clinical experience in the U.S., not including observerships.