Graduates from an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-accredited Internal Medicine residency program are eligible for the Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship.
The fellowship is open to U.S. citizens, permanent U.S. immigrants and international applicants as follows:
- Graduates from medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- EVMS will support ECFMG J-1 visa sponsorship for fellows enrolled in graduate medical education.
All fellows must comply with the EVMS Graduate Medical Education policies and procedures including a criminal background check and pre-employment health screening prior to starting the program.
All applicable licensure eligibility requirements must be fulfilled prior to starting the program.
Application and Interview
Our fellowship program participates in the National Residency Matching Program and only accepts applications via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The program does not accept direct applications or reference letters. Any unsolicited documents mailed directly will be discarded.
The application and all supporting documents must be submitted through ERAS. The selection committee closely evaluates performance on the following required supporting documents:
- Personal statement
- Official medical school transcripts
- USMLE/COMLEX transcripts
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (dean’s letter)
- Two letters of recommendation from physicians who have served in a direct supervisory capacity
- One letter of recommendation from a division head or department chair
- A valid ECFMG certificate (if applicable)
- Score 200 or higher on UMSLE Step 1 and 2 on first attempt
- Pass USMLE CS on first attempt
- Pass National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners COMLEX (for osteopathic students)
We also evaluate applicants on communication skills and personal attributes during the interview process. We interview qualified applicants in September-October of each year prior to the match date.