Graduates from an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-accredited three-year Internal Medicine residency program or four-year Internal Medicine/Pediatrics residency program are eligible for EVMS' Nephrology Fellowship.
The fellowship is open to U.S. citizens, permanent U.S. immigrants and international applicants as follows:
- Graduates from medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- EVMS will support ECFMG J-1 visa sponsorship and will consider H1-b visa applicants (on a case-by-case basis) for fellows enrolled in graduate medical education.
All fellows must comply with EVMS Graduate Medical Education policies and procedures, including a criminal background check and a pre-employment health screening prior to starting the program.
All applicable licensure eligibility requirements must be fulfilled prior to starting the program.
Application and interview
EVMS' Nephrology Fellowship participates in the National Residency Matching Program and accepts applications via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The program does not accept direct applications or reference letters. Any unsolicited documents mailed directly will be discarded.
The ERAS application and all supporting documents must be submitted through ERAS. Required supporting documents include:
- Personal statement
- Official medical school transcripts
- USMLE/COMLEX transcripts
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (dean’s letter)
- Two letters of recommendation from physicians who have served in a direct supervisory capacity
- One letter of recommendation from a division head or department chair
- A valid ECFMG certificate (if applicable)
- Score 200 or above on USMLE Step 1 and 2 on their first attempt
- Pass USMLE CS on first attempt
- Pass National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners COMLEX (for osteopathic students)
We also evaluate applicants on communication skills and personal attributes during the interview process. We interview qualified applicants in September and October of each year prior to the match date.