Sponsor: Private organization working in conjunction with researchers from Old Dominion University (ODU).
Summary: To determine whether THC-free CBD oil can help reduce the frequency and severity of agitation among participants with Alzheimer’s Disease (AD), or AD mixed with another type of dementia.
Point of Contact: David Elkins, MS, Research Coordinator, 757.446.5675
Additional Contact: GlennanCenterResearchTrials@evms.edu
To be eligible, participants must be:
- Women and men over the age of 50
- Have a diagnosis of dementia due to AD or mixed AD with another type of dementia.
- Experience frequent agitation. Common symptoms include:
- Restlessness; pacing back and forth
- Feeling anxious
- Attempting to hit or kick.
- Have a caregiver who spends at least four hours per day with the participant and supervises their care, is willing to accompany the participant to in person and remote study visits, and is willing to participate in the study.
- Memory unit patients are also eligible for the study.
Study duration: Eight months and includes one in-person visit, three remote visits and daily monitoring of physical activity and sleep using a Fit-Bit device.
About the study: Unique because participants will be on study medication and placebo at separate points while in the study