The PA Fellowship in Emergency Medicine includes lecture and journal instruction alongside clinical training. The fellowship will be completed in 52 weeks. The fellowship begins on July 1 and runs through June 30 the following year. For accepted applications with fall or winter graduation dates, employment may be offered for the months prior to the start of fellowship.
Lecture and Journal Conference
The backbone of this segment of the fellowship is an emergency medicine conference, which takes place five hours per week. During this time, topics pertinent to the clinical practice of emergency medicine are covered in a traditional lecture format in the morning, with afternoon simulation sessions. Attendance and participation at academic conference is mandatory.
- Certification courses: Fellows become certified in advanced cardiac life support (ACLS), pediatric advanced life support (PALS) and advanced trauma life support (ATLS).
- Journal cub: Fellows learn evidence-based medicine and best-practice models, which are taught in a monthly journal club format.
- Ultrasound: Fellows complete a 2-day (16-hour) emergency ultrasound course which combines traditional didactics with hands-on ultrasound experience. Additional experience will be obtained during a dedicated ultrasound month.
- Simulation medicine: Fellows will participate in multiple simulation educational modules to hone their skills in a consequences free environment to include: basic and advanced airway management, skills lab, mega-code and trauma code modules.
- Fellows Conference: Fellows will have bimonthly small group sessions with the Fellowship Director covering case-based learning topics.
Each month of clinical practice has associated with it a set of curriculum objectives. Progress will be tracked through clinical evaluations by attending physicians. Rotations include:
- Emergency medicine: 8 months
- Trauma surgery and critical care: 1 month
- Pediatric emergency medicine: 1 month
- Medical intensive care: 1 month
- Ultrasounds, Radiology, and ECGs: 1 month