In this initiative, students work with YMCA personnel and elementary school students at a local school that serves children who typically live in poverty. Our students will conduct a needs assessment related to health literacy, conduct an analysis of the context and design, execute and evaluate an effective health literacy program.
- Identify and then prioritize health and medical education needs in this high-need population.
- Articulate salient target population audience characteristics.
- Prioritize various media and approaches for most effective communication given the target audience. Communication must match need and audience.
- Develop communication objectives and plan for target audience and need.
- Design effective interventions that effectively meet objectives.
- Effectively incorporate audience needs, motivations and profile in interventions.
- Deliver the health literacy intervention.
- Systematically evaluate and refine products.
For more information, contact Service Learning.