Schedule an appointment
Para Español 757.403.2474.
Scheduling is based on availability and is subject to change due to inclement weather and staff availability.
HOPES: 6-9:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays of every month
Clínica Comunitaria Esperanza: 6-9:30 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays of every month
What to bring
Please bring the following to your first appointment:
- Any valid ID (must have your picture on it)
- Proof of residence (a piece of mail with your name on it)
- All current medications
Where to go
Norfolk Department of Public Health Building
830 Southampton Ave.
Norfolk, VA 23510
Maryview Foundation Healthcare Center
3600 High St
Portsmouth, VA 23707
Am I eligible?
- Must be a Norfolk or Portsmouth resident
- Must be over 18 and under 65
- Must be unable to afford insurance
- Must make less than twice the federal poverty level, according to U.S. poverty guidelines
- Cannot be pregnant (would be insured through CHIP)
Clínica Comunitaria Esperanza patients:
- Must be primarily Spanish speaking
- Must be uninsured
There are no age or geographical restrictions for Clínica Comunitaria Esperanza patients.
- Must be referred through the Care-A-Van Clinic
- May not be seen in the primary care clinic
There are no geographical restrictions for Care-A-Van patients.
What to expect during your visit
You will be greeted by a front desk volunteer who will check you in for your appointment. A student clinician, or team of two student clinicians, will speak with you about your medical history and perform an initial physical exam. The student clinician will then present your information to the overseeing provider. The student clinician team and the overseeing provider will return to you with a treatment plan. Lastly, you will check out with a continuity coordinator who will schedule any follow-up appointments needed and answer any remaining questions you may have about your visit.
What we offer:
- Primary care
- Spanish-speaking healthcare providers for primary care and pediatric appointments
- Women's health appointments
- Dermatology appointments (once a month)
- Ophthalmology appointments (once a month)
- Mental Health appointments (once a month)
- Orthopedic appointments (once a month)
New patients are accepted in both primary and specialty clinics. Wait times can vary depending on the clinic and the availability of the providers.