EVMS will only consider applicants for transfer into the third year (clerkship phase) of the MD program, when vacancies occur from the withdrawal of previously enrolled students. In order to be considered for transfer, student must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. permanent resident.
- Currently enrolled in, and in good standing at, an LCME-accredited allopathic medical school. Students attending non-LCME accredited allopathic medical schools (with Step-1 USMLE boards scores above the national average and in good academic standing) are also eligible to apply.
- Must have completed a minimum of 100 undergraduate semester hours from an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada, including 1 year of biology, 2 years of chemistry (including organic chemistry), and 1 year of physics. A lab component must accompany all courses listed above.
- Must have a grade of “C”, “pass” or better in all required courses.
- Must have completed the MCAT.
All transfer applications must include the following:
- Official copies of undergraduate and medical school transcripts.
- Official copy of MCAT scores.
- Official copy of USMLE Step 1 scores.
- Three letters of evaluation, including one from the Dean of the transferring institution, and two from medical school faculty members.
- A completed interview evaluation.
All offers of acceptance are made prior to May 1st. Transfer students should be ready to start the first clerkship the last week of June.
In most years, there are few positions available. If there are more acceptable candidates than positions available, selection will be based on the strength of the application. The decision on whether seats are available in the upcoming third year medical school class and if resources and clinical experiences are adequate to support a transfer student is at the discretion of the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs. If a seat is available the EVMS MD Program Admissions Committee reviews applications and determines whether to offer acceptance as a transfer student.