MHPE Mission Statement
EVMS’s Medical and Health Professions Education (MHPE) Programs are dedicated to building a diverse, interprofessional learning community of scholars committed to advancing diversity, inclusion, equity* and socially responsible education, research, and service in the health professions.
MHPE Program Goals (PGs) and Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) Overview
Students who enroll in the MHPE programs will engage in transformational learning that connects their experiences, coursework, and knowledge to develop a more sophisticated understanding of the world that informs their teaching, research, and professional practice.
DMHPE PGs and SLOs
PG 1: Health professions educators who exhibit cultural humility and sensitivity who are able to
- SLO 1.1 Consider the diverse backgrounds of learners
- SLO 1.2 Design accessible learning environments
- SLO 1.3 Communicate educational content effectively to diverse student populations
- SLO 1.4 Assess educational outcomes
- SLO 1.5 Evaluate program effectiveness
PG 2: Contemporary health professions scholars who are able to
- SLO 2.1 Consider the diverse backgrounds and perceptions of human subjects research populations
- SLO 2.2 Assess research quality for rigor and bias
- SLO 2.3 Adhere to legal and ethical research practices
- SLO 2.4 Communicate results effectively using bias-free language
- SLO 2.5 Successfully defend a culminating research study (PhD)/program evaluation (EdD)
PG 3: Community engaged health professions practitioners who are able to
- SLO 3.1 Connect local, national, and global events with their teaching and leadership
- SLO 3.2 Apply principles of leadership in health professions education
- SLO 3.3 Participate in voluntary professional service at the institutional, regional, and/or national level
What does socially responsible education, research & service mean?
As future educators, graduates of the MHPE programs are dedicated to using education as a driver of economic opportunity and social justice. The MHPE students’ learning experiences will be facilitated by curricula that:
- examine the sociocultural contexts of teaching and learning
- facilitate access through online learning
- consider the role of social and structural determinants of health in medical and health education
- develop cultural humility and compassion for the human condition
- foster an action orientation
- explore unconscious bias as educators and scholars
*The EVMS Medical & Health Professions Education Program uses APA definitions of diversity, equity, and inclusion.