Each incoming student will need to have a personal laptop computer capable of running the necessary software and applications used in the PA program curriculum. These standards are the minimum necessary for a student to successfully participate in the 28-month program. Netbooks, iPads and other tablets will not meet these requirements and are not reliable.
- Laptop must be no more than 2 years old
- Processor: minimum dual core
- RAM: minimum 4 GB
- Screen Resolution: 1280 x 720 (720p)
- HDMI output recommended
- Wireless cards: 802.11 a/b/g/n (ac compatibility recommended)
- Webcam (integrated or peripheral)
- Recommended service plan (minimum 28 months)
- Recommended: Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) Home Premium or higher
- Windows 7-10 and MacOSX 10.8x - 10.11.x will meet the requirements to access the campus network and are officially supported at this time.
NOTE: As of January 2019, ExamSoft, a required program during your time as a student, will no longer support Windows 7 or 8 or any MacOS prior to 10.11.x (El Capitan).
IMPORTANT: The Network Information Center recommends that students do not upgrade operating systems without prior confirmation of institutional compatibility.
- PC: Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 11), Firefox* or Chrome
- Mac: Safari version 5.1.7 or higher
- Do not use beta versions of these browsers
- Microsoft Office 2013 Standard Edition or higher
- Free access to Office 365 for Education may be obtained after enrollment in the PA program
- Adobe Acrobat XI or higher
Optional Recommended Items
- External storage device (large capacity jump drive or external drive) for data backup
- CD/DVD drive
Because of the variability in computer manufacturers, hardware, software, etc., the EVMS Network Information Center will only provide support for installing the necessary software to ensure compliance with and access to the EVMS wireless network. The Network Information Center is not able to provide support or troubleshooting for hardware or software/application support. All support, troubleshooting and updates will be the student’s responsibility; therefore, it is recommended that students purchase a service plan for their computers.
EVMS Financial Aid offers students a method of increasing their cost of attendance budget in order to assist in reimbursement of their laptop purchase, if needed. It is not necessary to increase your budget unless you need additional funding to cover those increased expenses. Review the budget increase request guidelines.
If you have questions about financial aid or the budget increase process, please contact Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757.446.5804. If you have any questions about the hardware requirements, please contact the Network Information Center at email@example.com. All other questions may be directed to the PA program at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757.446.7158.