These computer standards are set for the incoming students August 2018. Each student must have a personal computer capable of running the necessary software and applications used in our curriculum. The standards listed below are the minimum necessary for a student to successfully participate in this program.
All computer-related support, troubleshooting and updates will be the student’s responsibility. Purchase of a service plan is highly suggested.
Students eligible for federal financial aid may be able to increase their financial aid budget to cover the cost of a computer. Please contact EVMS Financial Aid for additional information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757.446.5804.
- Processor: minimum dual core (quad core preferred)
- RAM: minimum 4 GB (8 GB recommended)
- Screen Resolution: 1280x720 (720p)
- HDMI output recommended
- Wireless cards 802.11 a/b/g/n (ac compatibility recommended)
- Recommended Service Plan: minimum 28 months
- OPERATING SYSTEM: MUST BE CURRENTLY SUPPORTED BY DEVELOPER
- Preferably no more than 2 years old
- Windows 7-10
- MacOSX 10.8.x - 10.13.x
IMPORTANT: the Network Information Center recommends that students do not upgrade operating systems without prior confirmation of institutional compatibility.
- PC: Microsoft Internet Explorer (latest version), Firefox* or Google Chrome
- MAC: Safari versions 11.1 or higher
NOTE: the Network Information Center HIGHLY RECOMMENDS that students do not use beta versions of any browser.
Software programs are required for the EVMS network access and functionality on campus:
- Microsoft Office 2013 Standard Edition or higher*
- Adobe Reader DC, Acrobat DC, or Acrobat Pro DC
- Virus protection is required (McAfee provided to full time students upon matriculation)
*Free access to Office 365 for Education may be obtained after enrollment in your respective program. Please visit myEVMS portal “Student Software Download” to see what other software is available for student download
Optional Recommended Items:
- Portable/External Storage (large capacity jump drive or external drive) for data backup MUST BE ENCRYPTED
- CD/DVD drive (external or internal)