These computer standards are set for students enrolling in August 2017. Each student must have a personal laptop computer capable of running the necessary software and applications used in our curriculum. The standards listed below are the minimum necessary for a student to successfully participate in the LAS master's program.
All computer related support, troubleshooting and updates will be the student's responsibility; it is highly suggested that a service plan be purchased.
If you are eligible for federal student aid and you provide required information, you may be able to increase your financial aid budget to be reimbursed over the academic year for the cost of your computer. Please contact Financial Aid or 757.446.5804.
NOTE: Netbooks, iPads and other tablets are not viable choices to fulfill the computing requirements.
- Processor: minimum dual core
- RAM: minimum 4GB
- 60 GB SATA hard drive or greater
- Screen Resolution: 1024x768
- Either an internal CD/DVD drive or an external USB CD/DVD drive
- Wireless card that supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (additional support for 802.11ac is preferred)
Mac operating systems are not officially supported at EVMS.
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 (32 or 64 bit) Home Premium or higher is recommended
- MAC OSX 10.8.x, 10.10.4 or 10.11 will likely work
Do not use Beta versions of these browsers.
- PC: Microsoft Internet Explorer version 9 and Mozilla Firefox
- Mac: Safari versions 9.0.3 or higher and Mozilla Firefox
We strongly recommend:
- A computer less than two years old
- A warranty and service plan matching the duration of the program
- Microsoft Office 2010 Standard Edition or higher
- This can be purchased through EVMS at a reduced rate after enrollment.
- External storage device for data backup
For questions regarding computing requirements, contact Kyle Zeltmann.